Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles

Go down 
AuthorMessage
PythonPassion

Female Posts : 365

PostSubject: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   February 25th 2010, 8:21 pm

Here's the info for getting FedEx certified to ship, in case anyone is interested. Wink

1) If you don't have a business name, make one up. "Joe's Exotics" will work just fine for FedEx purposes. You don't have to have a license, just a business name since FedEx's agreement with you will be that you are shipping from business to business. Then, go to fedex.com and register for an online account. You must do this first before you can do anything else.

2) Once you have an account, call FedEx and tell them that you need your local representative to contact you. When he/she contacts you, let them know that you need to become certified to ship live harmless reptiles.

3) Your representative will give you some links to follow to print out your paperwork for your test package. It will have all the instructions you will need to prepare your test package, as well as a sheet you will need to fill out and send in with your test package. Your test package must pass the test before you can go any further. However, if you know how to properly pack a reptile, you should not have any issues passing the test.

*Your test package will need to be packed exactly how you would pack it for reptile shipping, just without the reptile in it. Use a styrofoam lined box, put in your newspaper (or other cushioning material), and the tied up snake bag and/or deli cup. I also put a small piece of paper in there with "Heat or cold pack will go here depending on weather conditions" written on it, though I don't know that it was completely necessary.

4) Once your package passes the test, contact your sales representative again. Give them your test package report number. They will then contact the legal department for you so that legal will send you your legal paperwork to sign and return. Once you sign and return it, you will have about 5 days wait time until they get their computers updated to reflect your legal reptile-shipping status.

And that's all there is to it. The only cost involved is that you do have to pay the shipping costs for sending in your test package. You can send it via the cheapest method, though (sending it via ground instead of overnight like you would with a reptile is not part of the test process--they aren't testing the speed in which you send it, only your packaging). You can also request that they return your test package when they are finished; there is no charge for that.

Hope that helps anyone who is looking to get certified. I know ShipYourReptiles.com is out there, but I prefer not to put all of my eggs in one basket anyway. Plus, you have some people who are skeptical of UPS and/or ShipYourReptiles.com, and if you are FedEx certified, you can offer your customers both options. Savings by using UPS, or peace of mind at a slightly higher cost via FedEx (for those who are uncomfortable with UPS).
Back to top Go down
http://www.pythonpassion.com
QuietTempest
Admin

Female Posts : 1558

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   February 25th 2010, 11:14 pm

Thanks, Pam!! cheers

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   February 27th 2010, 1:32 am

No problem! Wink
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   June 1st 2010, 11:14 pm

I've started the process by getting a FedEx account online but I didn't think to check the business box. After reading through the huge thread on Fauna in regard to getting certified I think so long as you're shipping to a business or a hub, you're still in line with their policy because you would be the breeder in their example of "breeder to pet store". It took me long enough to get started, huh? Embarassed

It's too late to really do anything else yet. I'll see about calling tomorrow.

Any other tips or info I should know?

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   June 2nd 2010, 8:47 pm

You may be able to edit your account and add a business name. Not sure, though. When I signed up, I used my name and my business name. You could check, though. Wink

I'd say you'll have Louisa as your slaes rep (can't remember her last name though). They typically have sales reps for regions, and I believe she is the one for east Tennessee, though she might not; they could have different ones for different counties. In any case, if you get Louisa, she is really nice and really helpful.

One other tip: don't ever bother with the "Live Animals Desk" as they have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to shipping reptiles. All they'll do is confuse themselves and you. Wink Stick with your sales rep--they will be the most help to you. Legal took forever to get me my paperwork, and every time I stuck to Louisa for contacting. She'd email them, they'd say they'd get it to me, but they didn't. Eventually, she got the legal paperwork herself and faxed it to me, had me sign it and fax it back so that I didn't have to wait for snail mail (especially since I'd been waiting so long already).

Once you get certified, if you ever have an issue shipping something (and I have run into it), just take your legal paperwork to the hub where you drop off the package to show them that FedEx does indeed ship reptiles if you've gone through the right channels. I had to educate the nightshift poor oaf of a girl at the hub near the airport . . . the dayshift girl called the next day to apologize. She told me my reptile-shipping status was right there in the computer and that she didn't know why the girl couldn't look it up. LOL Since then, I have taken my copy of my legal paperwork with me each time I go to ship, just in case someone there isn't aware of what FedEx ships. Wink I'll hand them the package and say, "There's a snake in this box. Here's a copy of my legal agreement with FedEx to ship reptiles. I just want to be sure this package isn't going to be held up." They say OK and the package goes through smoothly.
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   June 2nd 2010, 8:53 pm

I was running errands today and didn't get a chance to call. I did pick up polysterene boards and some boxes, though, so that I can put together a test package. Smile

I'll call tomorrow and get the ball rolling. Thanks again for all the insight, Pam!

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   June 2nd 2010, 8:55 pm

No problem, and glad I could help!
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   June 3rd 2010, 12:44 pm

I'm waiting for my account rep to call me now. I also promised the kids yesterday that I'd take them swimming today. I do hope that my rep doesn't call me while I'm in the pool. Phone tag was never a game I enjoyed. Razz

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   June 4th 2010, 6:28 pm

I got tired of waiting for someone to call me so I got in touch with FedEx Package Services and they gave me all the info I needed via email plus account info so that FedEx could pick up the tab for shipping the test package to them. I'll try to ship out my test box tomorrow from the OfficeMax near me. Smile

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   June 10th 2010, 3:22 pm

My account rep's name is Candace and she seems really nice. She called me on Monday morning and I was so tired I asked her to call back in a few hours. Embarassed I called her back when I was up and answered her questions. She asked about how many packages I thought I would ship each week and how much they would weigh. I told her I was just starting out and that I really wasn't sure how many packages I expected to ship but answered as best I could. Wink

The package I sent arrived for testing yesterday and I got an email saying I needed to fill out their updated application form so I emailed that to them. I hope all is well. I'll get my results and package back soon, I hope, and then go on to the next step of this process.

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   June 10th 2010, 11:51 pm

Most packages will weigh less than FedEx's minimum weight (they charge the same for anything 3 pounds and under), unless you are selling and shipping an adult snake. But cost is based on weight, size of the package, and its destination.

It shouldn't take them long to test your package, and you'll get a report emailed to you in pdf form. If you pass (and you should), go ahead and give your rep another call. Wink
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   June 15th 2010, 12:23 am

My test package passed! Just got home and checked my email a few minutes ago and there was something in my inbox from FedEx. Yay! I'll call my rep tomorrow and get the next step started.

cheers

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   July 7th 2010, 4:48 pm

My waiver just arrived via email! cheers cheers cheers

Now I just need to sign it and get it back to them!

*** Edit ***

Talked to a rep via email (so much easier than playing phone tag) and they said I should have everything finished and in the system by Monday, the 12th.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   July 12th 2010, 3:57 pm

I'm officially certified to ship reptiles now! tongue

PostSubject: no business license required?   January 11th 2011, 11:59 am

I haven't gotten FedEx certified because I had been told by a breeder that they asked to see his business license. I believe in TN you don't have to have a business license if you generate less than $3000 annually.

Anyone who is FedEx certified please reply and tell me whether you have ever had to show a copy of a business.

Thanks,

Steve
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   January 11th 2011, 12:56 pm

scrouch wrote:
I haven't gotten FedEx certified because I had been told by a breeder that they asked to see his business license. I believe in TN you don't have to have a business license if you generate less than $3000 annually.

Anyone who is FedEx certified please reply and tell me whether you have ever had to show a copy of a business.

Thanks,

Steve

I'm FedEx certified and filled out all my paperwork as if I were a business by checking the 'Business' block and giving myself a business name. FedEx doesn't care if you're an actual business. For all they know, you're still going through the process of getting your business license when you apply for the FedEx business account. They never asked for business license info when I was going through the process. After you get through the package testing part of the process, they only want to know how many packages you estimate that you'll be shipping through them.

FedEx only allows the shipment of reptiles from business to business so if you want to be certified, you have to represent yourself as a business. As a breeder, you are (for all intents and purposes) a business by FedEx's standards.

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   January 15th 2011, 12:23 am

I have never had to. Just create an account online, call sales rep, get ball rolling, get process complete, viola, ready to legally ship snakes.

And right now, unfortunately SYR kinda crashed and burned with UPS. I've heard rumor that they are planning to switch to FedEx, but that may still be hit or miss, as you may still have people who are shipping snakes through SYR that don't know what they're doing. FedEx could very easily decide to switch back to their old tried and true "gotta be certified" criteria if this happens. Just a heads up for everyone. Wink If you are serious about shipping out animals you've produced, GET CERTIFIED. Even if you're certified, you can still use SYR purely for savings if you like, but if anything happens, you're still covered and aren't held up on sending out any animals.
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   January 15th 2011, 12:33 pm

PythonPassion wrote:
I have never had to. Just create an account online, call sales rep, get ball rolling, get process complete, viola, ready to legally ship snakes.

And right now, unfortunately SYR kinda crashed and burned with UPS. I've heard rumor that they are planning to switch to FedEx, but that may still be hit or miss, as you may still have people who are shipping snakes through SYR that don't know what they're doing. FedEx could very easily decide to switch back to their old tried and true "gotta be certified" criteria if this happens. Just a heads up for everyone. Wink If you are serious about shipping out animals you've produced, GET CERTIFIED. Even if you're certified, you can still use SYR purely for savings if you like, but if anything happens, you're still covered and aren't held up on sending out any animals.

I've read a bit on SYR's move to FedEx, but unless they've worked out something special then what they're doing or implying that they will do is a violation of FedEx's terms. I wouldn't buy anything shipped 3rd person through FedEx because my permit says that's a huge no no. All it would take is one person screwing up to mess it all up and get that account revoked. I'm really not sure about using SYR at all anymore because of the fiasco over shipping snakes under them through UPS and then Reptiles Express apparently had the same sort of trouble.

All I know is that if you want to avoid these problems you HAVE to get certified to ship, yourself, rather than rely on someone else.

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   January 21st 2011, 8:01 am

Shipyourreptiles.com has jumped ship from UPS to Fedex. They are FedEx certified so you dont have to be. They usually have great rates as well.
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   January 21st 2011, 2:37 pm

Ehatcher wrote:
Shipyourreptiles.com has jumped ship from UPS to Fedex. They are FedEx certified so you dont have to be. They usually have great rates as well.

I dunno, Eric. FedEx specifically states on their waiver that only the holder of the waiver is allowed to use their services. I'd want to see something from FedEx's legal dept. before I did business with SYR. The rates are good, yeah, but after the UPS fiasco I've only used SYR for shipping supplies.

Male Posts : 22

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   January 22nd 2011, 5:21 pm

how do u ship to a persons house if u can only ship buisness to buisness?
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   January 22nd 2011, 8:01 pm

rebelreptiles wrote:
how do u ship to a persons house if u can only ship buisness to buisness?

According to FedEx's terms, you're not allowed to ship to residential addresses but that doesn't stop some shippers. Your best bet (and safest bet for the animal being shipped) is to have the recipient pick up the package at their nearest FedEx hub. This prevents any snafus with FedEx if they take it upon themselves to call your waiver into question and keeps the travel time for the animal at a minimum. Those trucks and vans aren't the best place for a live animal to sit for hours.

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   February 25th 2011, 12:39 am

So, if you get FedEx certified, you have to ask the buyer to pick up their reptile at a FedEx hub instead of it being delivered straight to them? How does the buyer know when the reptile is there in a timely manner ? It just seems to me that, that might put off some people from buying from you. I know I'd rather have the animal shipped to my door if I'm paying so much to have it shipped in the first place, rather than to have to pick it up somewhere.

Does anyone know anything about shipping with UPS? I've noticed that most breeders ship through them.

I am not sure if we will need to ship reptiles yet, but if we do, it'd just be leos for now.
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   February 25th 2011, 1:58 am

HerpAlicous wrote:
So, if you get FedEx certified, you have to ask the buyer to pick up their reptile at a FedEx hub instead of it being delivered straight to them? How does the buyer know when the reptile is there in a timely manner ? It just seems to me that, that might put off some people from buying from you. I know I'd rather have the animal shipped to my door if I'm paying so much to have it shipped in the first place, rather than to have to pick it up somewhere.

Does anyone know anything about shipping with UPS? I've noticed that most breeders ship through them.

I am not sure if we will need to ship reptiles yet, but if we do, it'd just be leos for now.

You can track shipments and would see when it arrived at the hub. You'd just go pick it up as soon as it arrived or when the hub was open, whichever comes first.

It's against FedEx's terms to ship to residential addresses but I know many people do it anyway. Beyond the fear of losing my shipping certification, though, I think it would be in the animal's best interest to be held for the buyer at the hub. It lessens the potential for mishaps while on the truck and you're not waiting by the door all morning waiting for a truck to show up.

UPS will ship live reptiles with the exception of snakes and shipments can be held for customer or shipped to their door. If you're shipping snakes, you're pretty much stuck with either FedEx or Delta Dash. In your case, you could use UPS to ship geckos without breaking any rules.

PostSubject: Re: Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles   

Back to top Go down

Getting FedEx Certified to Ship Reptiles
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Knox Area Reptile Keepers :: Reptile Discussion :: Shipping-
Jump to: